The Speer Library supports and enhances the Middle and Upper School curriculum with a complete range of resources. Two full-time librarians staff the library and manage its programs and holdings.
Upper School students use the library in conjunction with class assignments and projects, as well for independent reading and study. The library cultivates students’ love of learning as a foundation for college work and a lifetime of learning.
Monday – Thursday: 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Upper School students may visit the library before and after school or during lunch. In addition:
- Individual students in 9th and 10th grades may visit at other times with a faculty member’s written approval.
- Students in 11th and 12th grades may visit whenever they have a free period.
Librarians continually expand and refresh the resources, which include:
- non-fiction works related to classroom curricula
- scholarly and popular periodicals
- reference works
- general interest works for student and staff enjoyment
- Online databases
Shipley students have access to a wide range of resources, including subject-specific annotated websites, and AccessPA's POWERLibrary databases.
These resources can be accessed only by Shipley students, parents, and faculty via the password-protected section of the school's website.
The Speer Library’s two full-time librarians work together with subject teachers to develop research assignments that increase skills and knowledge. Students are taught to be discerning about the resources they use, including print and non-print resources. As part of the research process students:
- Form questions
- Identify appropriate resources
- Search print and online materials
- Evaluate the relevance and validity of information
- Use proper documentation
The Speer Library has two experienced full-time librarians who work closely with the faculty to coordinate and provide materials relevant to the curriculum and research projects.
Current students and parents can access more information by logging into ShipleyNet, Shipley's password-protected online community.
2013 Summer Reading Lists
The 2013 Summer Reading Lists will be published when they are available.