October 3, 1894: Hannah, Elizabeth, and Katharine Shipley take their first pupil to prepare her for Bryn Mawr College entrance examinations. The School begins with six students and nine faculty.
1895: Main School Building is purchased.
1916: Alice Howland and Eleanor Brownell purchase The Shipley School and become co-heads.
1932: Shipley is incorporated as a not-for-profit institution and the first Board of Trustees purchases the School, its buildings and property from the "Hownells."
1937: Townsend House is purchased.
1940: Brownell House is purchased.
1942: Mildred and J. Russell Lynes become heads of Shipley.
1943: Shipley Alumnae Association is founded.
1944: Margaret Bailey Speer becomes head of Shipley. Gladwyne Farm and Athletic Fields are deeded to the School by the "Hownells."
1945: Howland House is purchased. Augusta Wagner comes to Shipley as Associate Headmistress.
1948: Alumnae Office opens.
1952: Addition to the Main School Building is completed.
1956: Beechwood House is purchased for grades 1-3.
1959: Wagner House and 919 Montgomery Avenue are purchased.
1961: 841 Montgomery Avenue, the Head of School's house, is purchased.
1964: Middle House is dedicated for grades 4-7.
1965: Isota Tucker Epes '36 becomes head of Shipley. Margaret Bailey Speer Library and Classroom Wing are dedicated.
1966: Fuller property is purchased. New School House is dedicated.
1967: Shipley School Endowment Fund is established with $9,000.
1972: First boys are admitted to Shipley, in grades K-3. First males graduate from Shipley (four one-year seniors from Episcopal). Nancy E. Lauber becomes head.
1977: Yarnall Gymnasium is dedicated.
1978: Riely Theatre is dedicated.
1979: Frederic L Chase III assumes headship.
1980-1981: Foulkes property is purchased and playing fields are constructed.
1981: Squash courts are dedicated.
1982: Last boarding student graduates from Shipley.
1985: Gary R. Gruber becomes Head of School.
1987: Founders' Chair, Shipley's first endowed teaching chair, is established.
1992: Steven S. Piltch becomes Head of School. Yarnall Gymnasium is rededicated in memory of Hester Yarnall.
1993: West Middle School opens for grades 6-8.
1993-1994: Shipley's year-long Centennial celebration.
1995: Snyder Science Center and Upper School renovations completed.
1997: Margaret Bailey Speer Distinguished Teachers Fund established in memory of Miss Speer.
1998: Avery Silverman Dining Hall addition and Riely Theatre renovation completed. Elizabeth Gwinn Field at the Farm dedicated.
2002: 20 Million Dollar Capital Campaign Completed. Beechwood House Opening. Lower School Additions and Renovations Completed
2006-2007: Turf fields installed at the Farm and the Lower Campus.
2009-2011 Shipley embarked upon Phase I of The Campaign for Shipley (Foundations for Success). More than $22 million was contributed, increasing endowment by more than $6 million and enabling major facilities improvements:
- Purchase and razing of Thornbrook Manor apartment building
- New campus entrance at Wyndon & North Merion Avenues
- 88-space parking garage and physical plant facility
- Six (6) tennis courts
- Two (2) multi-sport regulation-size artificial turf fields
2011- 2015 Phase II of the Campaign for Shipley (Foundations for Success) will raise $25 million for endowment, programmatic support and Upper Campus facilities, including:
- A 23,000 square-foot Shipley Commons and Arts Center
- Renovation in the Main building to house the new Learning and Research Center (multimedia library and research facility)