At Shipley, we see energy conservation, wastewater management, and efficient temperature control as our responsibility within our community and in the wider world.
Our green facilities include:
- The Shipley Commons, home to our Green Restaurant certified cafeteria, is itself a LEED Silver certified building, featuring recycled and locally sourced building materials, radiant floor heating, windows that reflect and retain heat, and durable materials that keep waste out of landfills.
- The Commons also features a solar array that offsets campus energy costs.
- As of spring 2018, 100% of Shipley’s electricity comes from renewable sources.
- Green roofs on Learning and Resource Center and the Squash Courts regulate indoor temperature to save energy usage; capture and utilize rainwater; and encourage biodiversity.
- The turf fields are designed to collect rainwater and percolate it into the ground, preventing flooding on the field and nearby areas.
- Energy-efficient lighting. As of spring 2019, 75% of lighting in the Upper School and 50% in the Middle School are LED lighting.
- Heating and Cooling include staged systems and smart thermostats to conserve energy.