Since January 2019, Shipley’s Avery Silverman Dining Hall has been a certified three-star Green Restaurant. Shipley was one of six schools in Pennsylvania to achieve certification from the Green Restaurant Association.
Highlights of Shipley’s 3 Star Certified Green Restaurant® recognition include:
- All food scraps, as well as disposable utensils, cups, plates, and bowls, are composted.
- Customized waste receptacles encourage diners to sort recyclables, compostable materials, and landfill items.
- Minimal use of single-serve plastics.
- 81% of lights are LEDs, which use up to 90% less energy, last longer, contain no mercury, and emit fewer greenhouse gases than incandescent bulbs.
- Menus include plentiful vegetarian or vegan food offerings, which require significantly less energy and water to produce than meat-based food offerings.
- A rainwater catchment and reuse system conserves water, prevents stormwater run-off, and allows the reuse of water for on-site irrigation.
Shipley partners with SAGE Dining Services and Boyer Sudduth Environmental Consultants to help lead its sustainability efforts. Since the beginning of the academic year in September 2018, the Avery Silverman Dining Hall has decreased the percentage of waste that goes to the landfill and increased the percentage of recyclables and compostable materials. Compostable materials are taken to Linvilla Orchards. Shipley is SAGE’s first school to achieve a GRA certification.